Monday, February 26, 2007

Myspace - Week 3

Myspace is a great way for libraries to connect with people who socialize online. I think it is essential for libraries to connect with teens in their environment.

David Lee King had a great idea about creating a "band" login for the library in order to add music, and podcasts. It would be great to highlight local bands on our site. We have an art gallery, and we could definitely use a music spot. We could also add podcasts of our teen events as an advertisement to teens that have not attended our events yet.

When I read about the concerns about Myspace being a predator playground, I thought about how vulnerable kids and adults are to scams and being lured into bad situations. People of all ages need to learn what precautions to take, and how to discern false information from good information. I agree that many perpetrators are online, but they are present in our everyday life too. Thankfully there are people who want to educate others about safe online practices.

On another topic, I have found it difficult to edit the profile settings for myspace. So I went searching for profile editing sites and found a few. There are some good sites with information and some sites that show how easy it is to edit your site. If anyone has some advise or knows of a really good profile editor please let me know in the comments.

4 comments:

Q said...

Hey - that must be your new dog! I can see from the stance she thinks she's in control!

Bobbi Newman said...

I was really frustrated with Myspace when I started creating my page. I didnt' feel like it was intuitive and there were no instructions on how to make changes. To put a back ground in your page you can do a google search for free myspace layout or template. These sites shouldn't be asking you for any info. Here are two
http://www.myspacepimper.com/
http://myspace.nuclearcentury.com/layouts/free/simple.php

When you find one you like you'll copy the html code and paste it anywhere in your profile, save changes then view and you should have a background!

Natasha said...

Bobbi, thanks for the advice on finding myspace backgrounds. I even went online to find color codes for the text. I just could not read the white text against the stripped background.

Natasha said...

Qhrrae, Yeah that new puppy is a handful. Yet with training every day she has been a little (stress on little) more obedient. :)